22 October 2006

Slayer Reviewed by Paulist

Yes, you read right. There is a review of Slayer's latest album, their first in five years, Christ Illusion on a website run by the Missionary Society of Saint Paul the Apostle.

Hunh?

The site is called Busted Halo and is geared to attract "spiritual seekers in their 20's and 30's. Well, hrumph! Do I feel left out?! The review can be found here. It's interesting. It exhorts Christians to consider why an album which paints such a brittle portrait of the evils done in the name of Christianity has gained such popularity. (The article reveals Slayer's latest album had reached Billboard's No. 5 spot.)

The Inquisition. The Crusades. Now the crusade inside the heads of three megalomaniacs in DC. They've got a valid point.

I'm not recommending the album nor the band. I wouldn't know Slayer if I tripped over them in a crowded subway stairwell. But the review gives one much to think about.

tags: Catholicism / Christianity / jihad / music / progressives / religion / Slayer / spirituality

5 Comments:

At October 22, 2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. Love you! Now I need to run around the Busted Halo site.

The damage done by religious fanatcism and nationalism has always been a big part of Slayer's schtick. Under the thick layers of cartoon Satanism, of course, but their lead singer/bassist is a nominal Catholic while their guitarist and primary lyricist is a raving atheist.

It's nice to see people outside of the usual metal circles take a look at it. A lot of the ideas tend to get lost in arguments about drop tuning.

 
At October 22, 2006 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just clicked this open to leave word telling you to make sure Jean knows. I feel a massive fucking post coming on inre Slayer from someone and definitely Catlickism from me.

Well done, C.

 
At October 23, 2006 2:38 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Happy to oblige, Ladies, and glad you enjoyed it.

: )

 
At October 23, 2006 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it weird that I've never heard of Slayer?

 
At October 24, 2006 1:39 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

No, Dana, it's not weird. I only know of them because the Eighties were a time when I was drifting away from 38 Special, Lynyrd Skynyrd and moving into more sophistocated stuff like folks, jazz, blues, roots music like bluegrass.

Slayer was just making a name for themselves as a heavy metal band along with bands like Iron Maiden, Poison, Motley Crew, if I recall. Metal is a very specific genre with, I think, a fairly isolated following. I think it's a case of "love it or hate it."

Also, a blog friend of mine is into metal and Slayer in particular so I read a bit about them there.

Good to 'see' you again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

  • *CmIB = Claiming my Inner Bitch
  • *CmIB-E = Claiming my Inner Bitch Enterprises
  • *MBCP = May be considered patriarchetypical (c) 2006 CmIB-E
  • *NOP = No Ordinary Princess, my other blog
  • *THAC = The Hospital Around the Corner