28 August 2006

Bananahole and Then Some

If you, like Jean, enjoyed Bananahole, you're likely to love this as well.

In responding to a comment, I returned to the scene of...to Bananahole
to dig a little deeper. One of my favorite pictures from Bananahole was this one, the heart-rending tale of the sperm babies gone to waste. Oh, the fetology!

I went back today to have a look at the site which gave birth to this photo, so to speak. I warn you...this site is not for the squeamish. It's probably best, if you're a vegetarian or animal rights activist, if you skip that link entirely. I'm sure I'll think of something else soon to occupy your eyes which is not quite so grizzly. If you're already grizzled, though, go have a look-see at Pulower, the site of a Polish artist/photographer whose rather quirky sensibilities sometimes involve depictions of a bloodied squirrel, squashed rat or doped-up (I hope) chipmunk. Hence the PETA warning.

Apparently, there is a network of contemporary Polish artists out there. Adam Szrotek is the proprietor of Pulower. He and several other Polish artists of similar ilk contribute to an interesting compilation called Head Magazine. Szortek contributed greatly to Issue 9, which I've linked here. I'm sure this stuff is probably right up Jean's strange alley.

What puzzles me, after spending some time among this crew, is what this means:







And this:







And are they related to this:





I thought it was a simple fraternity hand signal. Now I understand. It's the call to arms of The Cult of the Christ! (TM)

(above GWB photo brazenly copped from Tennessee Guerilla Women, in broad daylight yet)

Ship your sons and daughters to Canada! Dress your mother-in-law as a man! Lock up the barnyard animals! The Cult of the Christ (TM) is on the march!

tags: art / Christianity / religion / US politics

8 Comments:

At August 29, 2006 1:13 PM, Blogger H.M. Lufkin said...

Hey... ixnay on the alleyay. Shhh...

Seriously, though this stuff is fascinating. The dude with the horns and the Mary T, I want that for an air freshener. Awesome.

 
At August 29, 2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh, sorry Jean. I'll shut up now.

Maybe you should set up a cafepress shop and sell those air fresheners. I'd buy one.

 
At August 29, 2006 2:40 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Wait a minute..."horns?"

You mean Bush is a Satanist?

Well, that explains the last 6 years, anyway.

 
At August 30, 2006 9:52 AM, Blogger H.M. Lufkin said...

Well... a Satanist or a hesher. Though I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on the first one.

 
At August 30, 2006 1:42 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Now I've got to go off and find out what the hell a "hesher" is...

 
At August 30, 2006 1:50 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

According to Wikipedia:

"Hesher can describe any "hardcore metalhead" of either sex wearing long hair, acid washed jeans, leather or denim jackets with band names placed randomly, and listening to heavy metal or thrash."

If you care, Jean, there is a push to delete the Wikipedia article. There's also a talk page about the neutrality of the term "hesher" and whether it should be merged with another Wikipedia article. If you're interested.

I can see how you'd prefer our "commander in chief" to be a satanist.

 
At August 30, 2006 4:20 PM, Blogger H.M. Lufkin said...

"acid washed jeans, leather or denim jackets with band names placed randomly"

Hey, no one ever said it was pretty... oh those wiki talk pages... the metal one, I go there to cry occassionally. Otherwise, I value the little bit of sanity I have left too much.

 
At August 30, 2006 7:26 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Catharsis has its place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

  • *CmIB = Claiming my Inner Bitch
  • *CmIB-E = Claiming my Inner Bitch Enterprises
  • *MBCP = May be considered patriarchetypical (c) 2006 CmIB-E
  • *NOP = No Ordinary Princess, my other blog
  • *THAC = The Hospital Around the Corner