25 August 2006

The Wife I Want / Want to Be

Everybody who's anybody is out there discussing this idiotic article by an idiot (and, coincidentally, male) columnist at Forbes' detailing why men should not marry a woman who has a career. (Which leaves whom...the teenaged deli counter girl at the Wawa? The nubile ticket-taker at the local Regal multiplex? Go for it, Bud, and leave the woman with a brain for me.)

My favorite response so far has come from Hedonistic Pleasureseeker, who provides her own commentary on the author's points. Very funny!

The response I've appreciated the most so far is that of Sage at Persephone's Box. Sage advocates reclaiming the word, "wife," and does so with elegance and humor. This definition of "wife" is my favorite passage:

A wife is a woman who is loved by someone enough to want to share a home together. A wife is a passionate lover, both playful and intimate. She is strong enough to support her partner emotionally through a rough patch, and secure enough to show her vulnerability and ask for support when she needs it. She’s capable at her work, and is willing to shoulder her portion of the financial burden of the home. She’s introspective and intelligent enough to question and debate with her partner, creating an opportunity for personal growth through exchanges of substantial depth. A wife has her own life and ideas which make her that much more interesting to be with.
Yeah! That's the woman I want to marry. That's the woman I want to be.

tags: bitchy / blogging / feminism / humor / lesbian / life / sexism

2 Comments:

At August 25, 2006 5:22 PM, Blogger Pinky said...

Thank you! Poor frightened thing, that Noer guy, eh?

 
At August 26, 2006 1:04 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I couldn't even bring myself to read the whole thing, he's so assinine. I read the whole counterpoint, however, which was very good.

I don't think I missed much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

  • *CmIB = Claiming my Inner Bitch
  • *CmIB-E = Claiming my Inner Bitch Enterprises
  • *MBCP = May be considered patriarchetypical (c) 2006 CmIB-E
  • *NOP = No Ordinary Princess, my other blog
  • *THAC = The Hospital Around the Corner